Tuesday, 24 January 2017

International Students Queries

Are you an International Student in USA?

If you are an International Student in USA and have confused about OPT, CPT, EAD, F1 Visa, H1B Visa etc. Here i provide you the best answer for your all queries.

First of all you have to understand the type of Visa and Permit which helps international students to get work permit in USA. following are the short description of the permits which is required for international student to Get Hired in USA.

Opt is stands for Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a work benefit allowed to international students in F-1 immigration status who are enrolled in, or completing a degree program in the U.S. This employment can be used pre-completion of studies during their Degree Program or post-completion of studies, after the student finishes the degree
Optional Practical Training is a Program for Undergraduate and Graduate International students granted by the government USCIS (unites states citizenship and immigration services). All the international students are eligible to appear for this training program except for the Students in English language training, who are not eligible for OPT. It is kind of temporary work authorization provided to international students.

To appear for the OPT; you need to be an international student pursuing studies in USA which requires F-1 visa. (F1 Visa description are below)
Under this training program, the eligible students are permitted to work for the duration of strict 12 months only. There is an extension of 17 months, giving total of 29 months for those who have taken STEM. Undertaking the graduation of STEM means to choose the major in science, technology, engineering or mathematics. The extension is also given if the Employer who is giving the employment undertakes the E-verify program.

While the student in under the OPT training, there is an allowance of 90 days unemployment. After the time period of 90 days is over they have to immediately leave the United States. While the student is pursuing OPT, he/she has to be careful about the H-1B “cap gap”.

The working of OPT is divided into two parts:
Full time– The student is permitted to work 40 hours or more a week
Part time-The student is permitted to work 20 hours or less a week

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization for F-1 visa non-immigrant foreign students in the United States while enrolled in a college-level degree program. It allows F-1 international students to participate in paid off-campus academic internships during their degree program. The main aim is to use the skills obtain during the course of study.

To be eligible to apply for Curricular Practical Training the duration of stay in USA has to be of 9 months.

An employment authorization document (EAD, Form I-765) or EAD card, known popularly as a "work permit". EAD is a document issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that provides temporary employment authorization to non citizens in the United States and they have been granted .permission to work in US with EAD Card

H1B Visa
The H-1B is a non-immigrant visa in the United States. It allows U.S. employers to temporarily employ foreign workers in specialty occupations. If a foreign worker in H-1B status quits or is dismissed from the sponsoring employer, the worker must either apply for and be granted a change of status to another non-immigrant status, find another employer (subject to application for adjustment of status and/or change of visa), or leave the U.S.

F1 Visa
An F1 visa is a non immigrant visa for those wishing to study in the U.S. You must file an F1 visa application if you plan on entering the US to attend a university or college, high school, private elementary school, seminary, conservatory, language training program, or other academic institution.

For details of above all Visa permits like 
Documents Requirements
Illegibility For Visa
How to apply
Difference Between Visa
Career Tips
Training & Placement etc.


  1. thank you for sharing , very crisp and easy to understand

    1. You're welcome...THIA MANDAL I hope that my blog helps you to get all the information on Job in USA for international students.